brokenbiscuits

Dreaming Metal - Melissa Scott 3.5 stars
If I were breaking up with this book, I would say, "It's not you, it's me." I don't think I was intelligent enough to understand what was going on in this novel. There were so many technologies, ethnic groups, etc. that were never fully explained. I don't think I have the right kind of brain for world-building of that type. For example, there were two extremist groups, one called Realpeace and the other Dreampeace. Those sound so similar to me I didn't even realize there were two until halfway through the book. Then it started to make a lot more sense! : ) Maybe if I had read the companion novel first it would have helped. Although I was confused a lot of the time, I also had a strong sense of what I thought was going to happen. Then that thing did happen, and that was it it, the end, so I felt like I was waiting for more. Dreaming Metal was told by three different narrators. I think I also made a false assumption that because the book was a Lambda winner, it would showcase some same-sex relationships, but there were just brief mentions or minor characters, which is totally fine but I had wrong expectations. Certain incidents that happened in the book really did have me on the edge of my seat, though. I also very much enjoyed reading about Fanning Jones' band Fire/Work, and I think you have to be a really great writer to make an imaginary band's music so fascinating. For all my complaints, this book made me think (even if a lot of those thoughts were "huh?") and I think it deserves high marks.