brokenbiscuits

Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay - Paul Vitagliano This book is adorable! Even if you are illiterate, the pictures will make you smile, and some of them will make you laugh out loud.

It's all photos of gay people when they were children, with a short description by the person. Most of the photos are of boys, and a lot of them follow the script of "I was a very effeminate and fabulous child who hated sports and loved dressing up in girl's clothes and I was bullied a lot, but now I love my life." There are also a bunch of very different photos and stories that help to give the full panorama of gay/lesbian experience. There were a couple of photos where even after I read the name, looked at the picture, and read the story I still wasn't sure what gender the child was. Which is awesome! I also really enjoyed Congressperson Barney Frank's Bar Mitzvah photo. I would love to see a second book that has more girl photos.

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was already a fan of the blog of the same name, as well as the sister blog "My First Gay Crush" which is also really fun. I will be proudly displaying this heartwarming book on my coffee table.